PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Disagreement in the Air
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2005, 07:40
S-Works

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MaxFlyer....And when you landed at Bembridge you had a face like a hang dog!! Better not mention special branch at this point......

I have had the same problem with Solent controllers on a number of occassions and with more navigation gear than the space shuttle I HAVE been certain of my position. I think they extrapolate the radar trace and then use a potential bust as grounds to send people around the edge rather than deal with them.

The problem with Solent is they think they are Heathrow and dont want any of us "mere" hobby jockeys in there airpspace. "stay clear of controlled airpspace we have a jet leaving in a few minutes" is the common one, then 10 mins later you hear it go. Heathrow are just far enough apart for wake turbulance!

Conversly I have never been refused a transit by Heathrow and recently from Redhill got an overflight of the runways on a SVFR clearance in the twin. Does bring home just how busy Heathrow is!

Solent need to talk a long hard look at themselves and the service they provide as in mine and many other peoples view they are probably the most unhelpfull and rude of the controllers out there most of the time. Not to say it is all bad, somedays the service is very pleasant.

What I dont understand is how Bournemouth who I think are the same controllers are so much more cooperative (or seem to be)......