PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - North Sea Job Prospects
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2005, 20:53
bondu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi jb: you're quite right. I do need a holiday!!!

I've also worked onshore and seen the business from both sides. The salaries for the onshore guys (EMS and Police) are woeful - that's the reason I left an EMS job I really loved and returned to the North Sea. I did say that as North Sea pilots, we received the best salaries around.

I don't know where Camp Freddie works, but in Aberdeen most pilots are working, on average, 215 days a year. Early starts: 0645 take off (0545 report), but could still be flying at 1900, if on standby and called in late, still on 'earlies'. Lates could mean anything from 1000 to 1900 take off. Yes, there are many who would give their granny away for a job up here in 'grey old Aberdeen' (thanks jb!), even with the rubber bags, (maybe because of the rubber bags!!), the bad weather, poor scheduling etc. But the money is good. As i said in my previous post, it all depends on your point of view. What do you want out of your life in the commercial helicopter world? Money? Or job satisfaction? Both?

As for contacts at Bristow:
Dave Miller is Flight Operations Director, Europe, based in Aberdeen.
Paul Quick is Chief Training Captain, based in Aberdeen.

Thomas the Tank Engine; drop a line to either Dave Miller or Paul Quick at Bristow. There is still a shortage of co-pilots at the moment. Not sure how long it will last though, as 332 Mistress said, its a very confusing situation at the moment.

Its not all bad up here; its June 6th and we have a ground frost warning for tonight!