PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TRA / Restrictions blatantly ignored
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2005, 17:06
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think kite flying above 60 metres without the consent of the CAA would be an infringement of the ANO.

We should be equally concerned about pilots disregarding a nav warning as organisers disregarding the ANO.

I suppose if you feel sufficiently strongly and the organiser did not have the consent of the CAA, the CAA would want to investigate further if you brought the matter to their attention.

Not being a kite flyer, at a properly organised event what height are kites flown too and how do you judge their height?

There is I think also a restriction within an ATZ of 30 metres. I often wonder whether kite board surfers at places where the approach is over the sea are in fact infringing the ANO. I have heard it said by controllers at Shoreham that there have been one or two close shaves with people coming in over the sea in poor viz on the approach to 02!

PS I never knew the following from the ANO

"A kite while flying by day at a height exceeding 60 metres above the surface
shall have attached to it's mooring cable at intervals of not more than 200 metres measured from the lowest part of the kite, tubular streamers not less than 40 centimetres in diameter and 2 metres in length, and marked with alternate bands of red and white 50 centimetres wide, or at intervals of not more than 100 metres measured from the lowest part of the kite, streamers not less than 80 centimetres long and 30 centimetres wide at their widest point and marked with alternate bands of red and white 10 centimetres wide. "