PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Etihad Employment
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2005, 11:11
fractional

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SELL and do not CELL...

Good slogan!
These guys have not (or do not want) to realise that they need urgently responsible expertise. It doesn't come cheap to start with and they need to keep the tempo in order to become competitive.
Drives to nationalise human resources are good but not enough to maintain such a projected growth.
EK made an aggressive marketing campaign more than 10 years ago in order to get where they are now and they have got the name EMIRATES written all over the place. It's a brand name most of worldwide.
I know things could be better for the staff (as per the latest posts), but in general they are better off than anyone else in the Gulf majors.
In 91, EK had 8 acft (?), the same number EY has (?) at the moment according to the Airbus figures. Until then, they struggle because money was short and things were not running well too. But EK did not order hips of acft until they started to get organised. They brought in quality people and they marketed the name and DXB (shopping festival).
EY will have a good future if they recruit valuable expertise and (re)structure immediately in order to face the challenges of suddenly having to deal with 20 acft (or more) in the next 2 years. If doing it NOW, feasible results won't be seen for the next 2 or 3 years.
I've been there, I've felt it and had to quit some years ago.
The bottom line is: EY (or any other operator) is still a good job for:
- anyone single or married (no kids)
- jobless
- worse off elsewhere (by a good margin though)
- f/o with obvious aspirations, etc...
As I said in previous posts, the Gulf is no longer a gold mine, but it's still a golden opportunity for some (mainly youngsters, like the ones listed above). If you fit in one of those categories, go ahead. Be prepare for all sorts of surprises too. Just never have an empty stomach... Thre are things you don't have to understand, just do it until you can. If you cannot, look for something else before they hit you. Keep your eyes open and stay afloat.
Chin up!