PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot shortage hits BA.
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2005, 10:41
maxy101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kirkwall Some of us have been reps and seen the cosy little chats that go on "over the road" between guys that were on the same Hamble/Prestwick course. From my limited observations, the interests of the line pilot were not always being fought by our hard working reps. There are, I'm sure various reasons for this, running from management/training aspirations to people that are not quite up to the job. Personally, I didnt feel that I was making a difference and stopped. I believe that there are many other reps that realise that they are on a very cushy number (some reps are getting half a months work in BALPA credit) with no reserve and very little for the line pilot to show for it. Perhaps the microscope should be turned on the "underperformers" . After all, they DO get paid to do the job. They are given credit at their hourly rate. Some of us have to go to work and fly aeroplanes to achieve that. A "senior" rep that say, for instance, takes 40 hrs BALPA credit a month on PP 16 as a Captain is essentially being paid (40x 90) i.e 3600 quid a month to be a BALPA rep. That's a lot of money for what we get back. Perhaps we should go down the road of professional full time reps?