PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot shortage hits BA.
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2005, 09:58
Kirkwall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firestorm,

When you say BALPA are spineless, I assume you are referring to the volunteer representatives who give up a huge amount of their own time to do their best for their work collegues. If you aren't happy with their performance, why don't you put yourself forward for election and show them how it should be done. You could also stand as a representative on the NEC and be one of the small numer of pilot volunteers who are effectively the management team of BALPA. Yes, BALPA doesn't always get it right and due to the highly competitive nature of the industry, there are many opportunities for managment to set one group of pilots against another, but I am certainly comforted to know that fore every BALPA setback, there are many more victories small or large which generally improve our overall terms and conditions. There are 200 volunter reps working on your behalf, they can't all be spineless. If you believe that they are, take the plunge and have a go yourself.
If not, then at least don't come out with the usual excuses of "I would if it wasn't for being busy with the kids, stamp collecting club meetings etc etc...." Reps have lives too, support them or remove them, but make sure they are replaced by yourself or someone equally as "tough".

Say Mach Mumber,

If you were to get BALPA recognition in FRA, YOUwould be BALPA, ably assisted by a full time negotiator (the ones that I have had dealings with recently are superb if undepaid, under-appreciated and overworked). All you would have to do is put yourself forward for the Company Council. If you do not like BALPA, pick another organsation, but please understand, you and your collegues will be in the front line, will take the flack from both sides and will have a significant workload. Try it though, it is extremely interesting satisfying and occasionally even enjoyable.

I suspect the first item on the table from managment would be a proposal for compulsory day off working. How would you negotiate your way round that? I understand that it might be a little difficult in FRA.

And no, I am not a BA BALPA rep.