PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2005, 06:15
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll drink to that!

Once I finally outgrew having this mindset myself, which probably took longer than it should have, I have found Burr Number One under my saddle to be these deluded souls who appear on the Nigerian aviation scene with the assumption that they have been sent by higher powers to straighten out the mess.

All locals are assumed to be incompetent. Think of the Ookaballakonga running through the potted palms waving not-very-sharp spears on an episode of 'Jungle Jim'. That sort of person, actually....

For expatriates, have a think about Humphrey Bogart's character in 'The African Queen'. Put four-stripe bars on his shoulders and you would have your average expat captain. Why would anyone but such a total misfit loser spend any more time than necessary in Nigeria?

So, enter stage left Our Hero, come to save us!

One day I found myself in the Crew Room, scraping together some paperwork preparatory to committing aviation with my Twin Otter. Up on the board one of the local help had scrawled CAVOK for the weather at Warri Airstrip. Meaning, loosely, that the weather was okay, I guess.

Enter two bright young Brits busy blowing smoke. They eye this CAVOK disting and then ask the local help if he is fully aware of all the conditions this implies, harrumph! The poor fellow looks a bit baffled, since this is merely what someone has told him to write when the weather is 'okay'. They then proceed as a sort of Greek chorus to chant the various elements of CAVOK.

When they get to the end, looking extremely self-satisfied, I just think to myself, 'you forgot "no significant weather," you tossers!' but leave that unsaid. The local help then retreats to his little radio room, abashed and baffled in equal measure as our two British ATPL holders march off to sort out some other deficiency in the local scene. 'Sorted!'