PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR going out to contract.
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2005, 17:18
mallardpi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chookattack

"Whats the difference between a pilot and a SAR pilot? A 2 day course."

Well, I cannot believe how naive you are in saying what you did above. I don't know what SAR course you did, but I hope that if I'm on a sinking deck in a Force 9 at night, you're not on shift to get me. Do you really believe you can turn a helicopter pilot into a SAR pilot in 2 days? Well, perhaps teach him/her to hover over calmish water, yes, but not everything else involved too. Decks, coastal approaches in fog and at night, NVG, mountain flying, search patterns, winching are all involved let alone the coordination side, liaison with other agencies, crew cooperation (most important) etc etc the list goes on.

What you say is just like suggesting a helicopter pilot could learn tactical flying and go to war in two days in support of our boys on the ground - no I dont think so. Your comments are obviously biased, I dont know why.

Military SAR crews do, without doubt have a greater capability than the civilian crews. Nobody should say one does a better job than the other. Remember the Coastguard SAR crews are only contracted to work to the high tide mark, so how can they be so good at overland SAR if they never train in that role. The Mil crews provide complete SAR, anywhere and everywhere. There are differences with the RN and RAF but these are being addressed.

As to the question of privatisation? Well, my view is this. Should an emergency service provider be allowed to make profit out of the rescue and assistance given to those in need? I say No. Its like saying lets privitise the Fire Brigade and let somebody make money out of fighting fires. Helicopter SAR should be a government run operation. No, it doesn't have to military, but lets say for instance a Govt Flying Service. Funded by the public purse, and not for profitable means, they could be at the call of the CG, Police Fire etc etc. Flown by civil crews with dispensation for NVG and night overland from the CAA they could be just as good as the servies now provided.

The CAA I believe would grant such certificates if the units could prove the training was adequate and robust. Ah here we are again, more training that the mil crews do, not currently undertaken by the civvies. Well, perhaps thats where the difference in price comes from. If you want a complete service, you'll have to pay for it.