PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 16 years on from 1989 - what have Australian pilots learned?
Old 5th Jun 2005, 10:33
Kaptin M
Moderate, Modest & Mild.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No Chief, I don't criticise you "for flying in our dream job AT HOME". I'm envious that you are able to afford to be able to do so.

Let's get the FACTS right - I didn't leave my family at home. They left Australia and joined me in Singapore for almost 6 years.
By the end of my contract there, my sons had entered Uni in Oz, and so the bills continued coming in.
I was fortunate enough to obtain my command through an ex-Ansett Captain colleague in the Philippines.
At the end of that contract, another ex-Ansett Captain colleague, who realised that I was jobless, recommended me for a job with MAS, and a chance to continue building my command time.

Remember, the airlines involved in the Dispute had black-balled their previous pilot employees, and Hawke had tried his damndest to prevent us from achieving employment overseas, and is rumoured to have contacted several countries asking them to refuse us work as we were ASIO listed "political dissidents".
THAT is what we were fighting.

You don't "incur my wrath" for working for peanuts.
The terms of employment each of you is offered is non-negotiable - so you have - as INDIVIDUALS - no say in the matter.
The power of ONE against that of a manager, backed by an entire company, is futile!
Management realise they wield enormous power, ONLY because they have the backing of "The Company".

But what I am surprised at, is that many of the younger generation haven't looked at the events up to 1989, to see what great benefits a UNITED workforce can achieve.
I also believe that the Australian airline pilots' Dispute made companies everywhere, realise that direct confrontation with a UNITED workforce may well spend their demise, which is why it is in the company's interests to keep the workforce divided....."Why should I join a union? Look where the 1989 pilots ended up!"

Fortunately, now, the pilot shortage is working in our favour, and will do so for another few years. But once over the hump, expect to have your conditions assaulted again, by forces that will overwhelm the individual(s).
Unless they can UNITE.