PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future rotorcraft control systems
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2005, 00:24
Lu Zuckerman

Iconoclast

Location: The home of Dudley Dooright-Where the lead dog is the only one that gets a change of scenery.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up CL-475

To: Graviman

Do you know much about the history of the CL475 or 186? Did the 186 progress to hydraulic or was this a Cheyenne feature?
When I worked on the Cheyenne I walked through a door leading to a warehouse that was adjacent to our offices. Hanging from the rafters was a Lockheed CL-475. It differed from the version with the gyro bar (similar to the Bell stabilizer bar) in that the gyro was a circular ring that was mounted around the rotorhead. I do not know if this was a variant of the CL-475 or a modified version. In any case I couldn’t get any information on it because there were so few knowledgeable Lockheed types in our group.

I saw the 186 in several variants flying on test flights but I was unable to get close to them. One major point was that this helicopter was so stable and flew so well that the Lockheed designers decided to scale up the dynamic system in designing the Cheyenne. Needless to say this did not work