PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - where would you guys apply with my hours?
Old 4th Jun 2005, 11:04
10002level

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I started my training in the late 1980s there were jobs for everyone with airlines contacting flying schools for details of anyone coming up to 700 hours. However, things did not last and by the time I managed to get my BCPL issued, the jobs had gone and I couldn't even get an instructor position in order to build my hours up.

However, eventually I managed to get my foot through the door at a local school and slowly added to my experience until I had the magical 700 hours for the issue of a CPL and I went on to complete my IR. I was now in the position of being employable, but with no relevant experience and in a market where there were many people with more experience chasing up the few openings that became available. I applied to everyone both at home and overseas, but despite to numerous letters that I had "putting me on file", for those that could be bothered to reply, I never gave up.

Eventually, I got my first proper job in 1997, three years after gaining my CPL I/R (frozen ATPL) on a corporate turboprop in the RHS. For various reasons I hated the job (believe me, CRM is really really important and when someone insults and swears at you at every given opportunity, your life is hell). However, I stuck at it, watched my hours build up and 5 months later I got a position with a regional airline.

The point I am trying to put across is that you should never give up. I have seen lots of people enter into training, but not complete their ambition. I remember having a BCPL course booked to start on the Monday morning and on the preceding Thursday my bank turned me down for a £3,000 loan. But I found the money on the Friday. There is always a way. Never give up, and write to everyone. When you have little experience, unless you know someone in a position to help you, it comes down to luck. One day your cv will land on someone's desk and you will strike lucky. Phone everyone, and if one day the person says that the company does not accept phone calls about recruiting pilots, call the next and perhaps you will get someone else answering the phone who put you through. Write again to the airlines who you wrote to last month. Your enthusiasm will eventually make its mark. The job will not find you, but you will find the job.

(I have also put this post in the "words of advice" thread)

Last edited by 10002level; 4th Jun 2005 at 11:14.