PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bit of advice please!!!!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2000, 22:46
CONES R US

Cool

Duffster,
try talking to some of the agencies listed in the back of 'Flight', or even ads placed in 'The Sun' on Tuesdays and Thursdays. They can fill you in on where there are vacancies etc.
I would definately go for avionics, because they are always in demand, but hat's not to say that A+C isn't. It's probably because I'm a conehead myself (also known as a spook, fairy, lekky, greenie..etc).
On an airline, most routine work is done at night as much as possible, because that's when the aircraft are on the ground most, but all airlines differ.
If you work in a hangar for a third party company - such as FLS - you would work on an aircraft that may be in there for a couple of weeks or longer, so most work is done during the day, but night shifts are common too.
There are benefits to the job, but again it all depends on who you work for. Most companies have interline agreements which means you can get rebated air travel, car hire etc, and some free flights on your own airline, so someone like BA would be better than a single aircraft operation out of backwater, now-where.
Engineers are professional people, who deal with (mostly) professional people, under varying pressures of time, resources and weather - not to mention management.
The only way to see, is to go out and have a go, I wish you luck.

Magnet,
I've never worked for Aer Lingus, but I have worked in Dublin on 146's.

------------------
NO FAULT FOUND