PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SouthCare
Thread: SouthCare
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2005, 12:47
ConwayB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chip lights

W_ocker,

Nice post. It's great to get (what I assume) is an insider's view on a situation the rest of us can only entertain with conjecture.
As I always say: 'Unless you were in the cockpit, you can't really make an informed judgement.'

As for shutting down engines, I have been fortunate enough to fly very powerful multi-engined helos with wheels, so shutting down an engine and doing a run on landing was not a real problem in an OEI emergency. (Being able to hover OGE with one engine off line is a real luxury).

I am not in a position to make comment on the OEI performance of 212s/412s and the like... but I would like to respond to the comment of "a wise man once told me that the only time you shut down an engine is when it's on fire."

I recently had a situation that required a 'land as soon as possible' response. An indicator that works similar to a chip detector indicated that there were chips in the hydraulic system. It was a land ASAP checklist action... so we did.

When the hydraulic filter was detached to inspect for chips, there were chunks of metal, some over 1cm long. And, without a word of a lie, it had a serial number/batch number on it. (We used to joke about that situation... so imagine our surprise when it actually happened!) What was it? A bearing race that had disintegrated and had spat huge chunks of metal in the hydraulic system. So if it was a choice of ignoring the indication and assume it's a false indication, or risking losing an hydraulic system in a 30,000lb helo, then I'd take the option offered by the checklist.

So IMHO, if the emergency procedure says that a CHIP light requires an engine to be shut down or a LAND ASAP response, then that's what I'd do. 212/412 drivers can elaborate on the EPs in their aircraft of which I am ignorant.

As the saying goes: "I hope that my superior piloting judgement will keep me out of situations that would require my superior (at least I hope they are) piloting skills."

Safe flying