PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SouthCare
Thread: SouthCare
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2005, 09:03
GAGS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As someone who would like to fly multi engine machinery at some time i have a question for all you you multi engine people out there.

I am not sledging dargan for shutting down an engine due to a chip light as he has done what the company procedures have required him to do,but......is this the appropriate course of action?I can understand that you want to get the engine shut down to avoid any further damage but i would guess that if the chip light has already been illiuminated then the bearing/housing or whatever is already on the way out and the damage is already been done.

The risk versus the gain scenario...do you you really want to go OEI for a chip light?

The gain you may save the already chipped out engine which when it goes for repair is gonna cost a bundle anyway.

The risk you are now OEI and of course there are the associated risks that come with twins that are heavy and OEI.

So if it all goes ugly u not only have a chipped out engine but also an overtemped overtorqued engine as well.

I would asssume that in the cockpit the multi engine guys are not thinking about saving the boss $ when you are IFR/heavy etc.

Dargan please do not take this as an attack on you personally,i am interested on the responses i get.

A very wise man said to me once...u only shut down an engine when its on fire!

Whats the consensus?