PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 off the runway at LBA
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2005, 02:24
ia1166

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I only put that bit in get him to react with another attack. I'm a bit bored at the moment. The figure is an airbus one so involves a test pilot with a test ac so it is optimistic to believe us mere mortals could reproduce it. The airbus does stop extremely well though, and not far off from the 800 quoted, but you will definately blow a few plugs and may start a fire. But this is how boeing generate their figures as well. When they tested the asdr figures for the 777 they set fire to both MLG. You have to press and press as hard as you can. it has anti skid and as any F1 driver will tell you, changing over to carbon brakes is the biggest thing when starting in F1. They are very powerful.
The bus and 757 both land at an attitude of around 2-3 deg nose up. Although a slight flare is required, when i was an fo i witnessed a no flare landing. The rubber jungle fell out, and one tyre was damaged. a bit of hangar time but no hvy maintenance. The problem is landing on 3 points or the nose only. Or dropping it on the rwy from 100 feet after flaring early, or encountering windshear etc etc.
All in all it doesn't seem to have gone far off the runway. And it hasn't blown any tyres. One wonders if there was no braking malfunction and the cause was a long landing, whether the crew got on the brakes early enough and trusted the anti skid. Airworld used to operate the 321 out of bristol at mlw. No mean feat for the crews, and i believe bristol is shorter than leeds?Anyway, no harm done and everyone walked away.
This thread has degenerated into a 757 320 pissing contest so i'm off.

Last edited by ia1166; 3rd Jun 2005 at 05:28.