PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dubai: "The City that Cares"
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2005, 20:29
nixisfix

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
white knight

you obviously don't know why we are expats. If you are here because you just want to survive then I pity you, most of us expect a bit more. I believe even you will agree that living in Dubai has become very expensive, wages are effectively going backwards while the newspapers can't keep up with the good news of record profits, record sales, record visitor numbers and so on. No wonder the thin middle class feels unfairly squeezed, not even mentioning the worker-ants who actually build Dubai, a lot of them even doing it for free...
I have never seen nor imagined a more divided, artificial society, where the veneer of "decency" is so thin that the most casual glance through the newspaper will freak out the average reader in a western country, BUT throw enough money at people and the most appalling conditions become acceptable (Saudia being a good example). In lieu of money, lifestyle is often quoted for a reason to come to Dubai. Poor guys who base their decission on phantasy ads, depicting a "palatial life style" which in reality will pretty soon consist of life in high-rise buildings without view, traffic jams to rival the worst of Europe or the US and an environment that 6 months in a year could be used to train astronauts for a mission to Mars.
If the money is not right, small problems start to grow very big, very fast.