PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A380/Emirates grizzles!
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2005, 18:13
donpizmeov

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts
1279shp made a very interesting statement that Air NZ is owned by a government. This would be the same government that saved it from going under.
I would also think that anyone who had worked for the former AN or Compass airlines would have ideas of what government intervention can and can not do for the airline industry. And then there is the question of what happened in 1989.
Mention has been made of the fact that EK benefits from slave labour, and being based in a place with favourable tax laws. This is true, and is why it can spend more of the punters money than others.
EK is not alone. Anyone who has a pair of NIKE trainers is also supporting the slave trade, just as EK pax are. Everything you buy that was not made in OZ is also hurting a OZ producer of some type. Anyone who deals with a company in a tax haven, or an account for raining days in the Isle of Man or Cayman islands, or bought trees or donated to the OZ film industry, also benefits from tax rules (perhaps the QF brothers don't know of these things, but the fellas from CX or KA will help you out). I think this is called real life. It happens.
All the players in this industry are as dirty as the others. Be it chapter 11 protection, a tax free base, monopoly of routes, or whatever. The players will grab whatever they can to get an edge.
But this is all bean counter BS. This is the only excitement these low life slime get out life. They crave the oportunity to grumble and moan that someone has it easier than themselves, creating excuses to cut, disembowel and pilage all those beneath them in
campaign of leveling the playing field. And all the while they have all recorded record profits, pocketed huge bonuses whilst crying poor because of high oil prices, and that EKs bike has more gears than their own etc.
My 2 year old child can argue a more convincing case.
My job is to fly the aeroplane from one point to the other, and try to do it within a set time frame. Not really rocket science. I would not have the scantest idea of the bottom line of the carriers parked to the left or right of me at the stand. I would not give a toss to where they flew or how often. If I were to smell fish on the flight deck whenever I went pass a certain carrier I would be more concerned with the personal hygiene of their cabin crew (no chic pilots with us I am afraid) than question their motives for being somewhere, or how their books are cooked. You see the rumours and chat on the flight deck, sealed in that tube are just rumours and chat. None of us have a clue of the true finiancial state of any of the players. Nor do they want us to. But they do want us to blame each other for the constant errosion of our terms and conditions.
Rather than worrying about how EK can buy or lease a new aeroplane, why not concentrate on why after making yet another record profit from your hard work, GD is still taking the bonuses and talking doom and gloom.
I would probably see a doctor if the fish smell does not go away.

Don