PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When we was ..........
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2001, 23:32
jetfueldrinker

Yarpie? Could someone enlighten me please as that is a (no doubt racist) nickname that I have not seen before.

Back to the main subject. 'When I was on 4 Squadron, Harriers in the mid-1970,s' (I could bore for England!) we went from Wildenrath to Gutersloh for a couple of weeks detatchment. Being roughy toughy types we were camping instead of experiencing the delights of transit accomodation (I think the transit block got burned down some months previous). As we were camping, we were also wearing camo gear too. Just after work one day, we went to the NAAFI to replenish some essential stocks (beer) and were sauntering back to camp. We got collered by the SWO. For those not famiear, the SWO gives policy to the Almighty One. You don't mess with him. After he saw us wandering back to camp, remember we just finished work and were in need of a shower and change of clothing, he called us to attention (ever tried to stand to attention with a flatty slung on your shoulder?) and demanded to know who the the name of an indivitual. 'Thomson Sir', came the reply. So he was ordered to the Guard Room as the rest of us were dealt a bollocking. Thomson didn't go to the guard room, but hid in the woods (remember we were in camo gear) until he saw us marching (ever tried marching with a flatty stuck to your shoulder?) back to camp.

Some time later an insenced SWO came storming into our camp demanding to know where SAC Watson was. On being told there was no SAC Watson he wanted to have in ID parade. But the funny thing was, JT Thomson, the guy who had been sent to the guard room but never went, was right in front of him.

On learning that the Harrier fleet were being transfered from Wildenrath to Gutersloh, The SWO bought himself out and we got Paddy The Blanket, but more of him another time

Hope you enjoyed this

JFD