PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The real dangers of Black Night VFR.
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2005, 03:31
jb05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think all u guys are getting too technical here, its obvious that all pilots are rated for day VFR and if u are also rated for IFR and are current for this then it should stand to reason using common sense(not saying here that the law makers have any of this!) that u should be allowed to fly night VFR.afterall night VFR is really a combination of both disciplines when flown correctly,visual flightbacked up by a good secondary scan of the instruments and in some cases where there are no visual cues(eg rotation or turning base in a high wing ac at a location with no surrounding visual cues as jfk jr found out)can be momentarily pure IFR..what it all comes down to is being honest with yourself about your own ability before setting off or continuing if conditions aren't within your capability.this is not just applicable to night flying either.maybe the crosswind that night is ok for day operations but at night it makes the whole thing just not worth attempting.in my opinion there are too many pilots who believe that just because they are current and the regs say its within limits then that makes it ok to go even though the flight may not be within their capabilities.another thing about single engine night flight, a mate of mine the other day told me i was a pessimist and the chances of engine failure were remote and you'd have to be unlucky. then another mate who is an experienced fighter pilot and instructor came up with the best reply. Give murphy a chance....