PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hard Landing...
Thread: Hard Landing...
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2005, 23:11
Safety Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually, the B767-300 is quite prone to this type of damage following a hard landing or hard nosewheel touchdown. I recommend reading the accident report found at:

http://www.aaib.dft.gov.uk/cms_resources/dft_avsafety_pdf_502225.pdf

Although there are no pictures, I believe that the damage to the AA aircraft was very similar to what Skyservice has just experienced. An outfit in South America also had similar damage a while back. According to my sources, there are other similar accidents in the B767-300's history. As you can see in the AAIB report, Boeing stated that the fuselage was built to spec limits with no aditional margin (much like the A300 rudders). Boeing did make a change to the stringer strength in the later versions of the 767-300. I could not find the serial number for the SSV machine, but I'd be willing to bet it's one of the older ones, since MYT had it for quite a while.

As for the stories about G loads and other such nonsense, unless you have seen the FDRs, then you do not really know what you're talking about, now do you? Stop spreading BS and wait for the real investigators to do their job.