PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A380/Emirates grizzles!
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2005, 11:42
330 Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Enema Bandit's Dad
That is totally incorrect. We get paid for every minute we fly. The percentages you refer to are for counting the time for flight time limits. In that regard your percentages are correct, to a point. It was called flight time factoring, and it evidently no longer is the policy. We are limited to 100 hours in 28 days and 100 hours in 12 months.

Your lifestyle varies depending on the fleet. I am 340 and for April I flew 94 hours with while working 16 days, and for May it was 96 hours for 17 days of work. Two of those days did not start until 10 pm and 3 ended at 6 am. A JFK trip is 27 hours and works 3 days. Sydney is 28 hours for 4 days so the time adds up very fast. The 330 flies much shorter trips and works more days, and I can not tell you about the 777.

Our financial report is certified and audited just like any other airline. It clearly states our expense for fuel, landing fees, lease expenses and aircraft payments. This is no different than any other airline. The expense that is obvious is labor. Emirates like Dubai pays lower wages. We import labor from other countries for a low wage compared to Austrailia, but the workers make many times more than they could have in their own countries. If Geoff Dixon wants to compete, he better import workers, or negotiate lower wages from the workers he has.

I have worked for union airlines my entire career (23 years) and seen the "cost" of high wages and silly work rules that are not efficient. I have also benefited from those work rules, and I can tell you that I much prefer this system.

The government of Dubai has not put any money in this company since the original start up money in 1985. The policy here is totally open skies. We pay the same for fuel as any other airline. If other airlines can not compete than instead of blaming the Government of Dubai, they should look within and get CEO's who can manage in todays environment whithout blaming others for their shortfalls.

Regards,

330 Man