PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sussex Police Helicopter Bird Strike
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2005, 19:35
SilsoeSid

Purveyor of Egg Liqueur to Lucifer

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Its like getting skycop to put his fingers in a terrapin pool with all these little nips!!
The height bit was easy, as of course you might remember from your HK days, the standard ATC clearance inside the Kai Tak zone was "not above 500 feet amsl".
As it happens, (clearing out the attic) I have 3 maps in front of me.
Two are the 50,000 HKLFC (sheet 1 west / sheet 2 east)
And the other is the 100,000 HKLFC

I am willing to be corrected of course, but heights within the KAI TAK zone were 'AAL'.
All other areas, such as ISLAND, PLOVER COVE, LANTAU, CHEUNG CHAU, JUBILEE, INNER PORT SHELTER and even SEK KONG ATZ , were related to by 'AMSL'.

If the standard clearance was in the zone was "not above 500ft AMSL", as skycop says, how on earth do you manage entry from NORTH PASS or EAST PASS when their heights are given as 1500ft AMSL for entry?
I'm amazed that you have flown many military hours at low level but never heard that forward facing lights are a bird deterrent! It was standard UK military low flying policy, and probably still is, for this very reason.
I must admit, so am I.
I can say that I don't recall this being mentioned at all in reference to birds. I hadn't thought of it as a bird deterrent.
As for it still being policy, living not far from the A1, it would seem that the word hasn't got round to the Chinook, Lynx, Gazelle, Apache, Puma world about this "standard UK military low flying policy".
And as for the Tucanos, Harriers, Tornados and the odd Jaguar, the word still has quite a way to go round!!

Lights on, lights on, GO!

SS