PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA & CAA disagree over B747 continued 3 engine flight
Old 31st May 2005, 17:01
NigelOnDraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMF...

I have never said the crew were "right"... I do not think I, nor anyone really, can categorically say they were " right" or "wrong".

What I can say is on the day they took a decision, iaw their Regulator Approved procedures, and followed it through.

What I do have, unlike you (?), is access to those procedures. They (quite correctly) give the crew discretion as to whether they consider the procedure appropriate "on the day". The list of further, and ongoing, checks, is quite comprehensive, and no doubt was complied with.

The events at the other end of the flight were completely separate and not under discussion here...

What I, and others object to, is your ongoing criticism of the crew...

My, my, what a book. I always knew "the book" includes procedures and standards, but now matters of Judgment as well? Of course, can it be "Judgement" if the book, in fact, covers it? You seem to regard it as the same thing.
The "book" you refer to is probably 2 pages. The judgement is partially in the drawing up of the "book", ensuring the regulator approves said "book", and then, and most importantly, the crew's judgement on the day as to whether the "book" is appropriate, applicable, and whether they are happy with it.

You OTOH, seem to believe the "book" is wrong (your right), but then go on to repeatedly criticise the crew becuase they do not share your belief that their company/CAA procdures are incorrect in principle.

Assuming you are a commerical pilot (?), would you want me to come in and tell you that your company's and National Authority's procedures were b*llocks, and that any of your company's pilots (including you) following the procedures were therefore incompetent.

Are prudence, risk management, and public relations covered with so much completeness as well?
Prudence and Risk Mgmt are inherent of commercial operations - else we would not fly. PR does not come into the pilots remit...

Your concern with the principle of continuing after a single engine failure is a view you are entitled to. My gripe with you is that you (and others) are unable to comprehend others may have alternative viewpoints... but more importantly, please direct your disdain, not to individual crew members, but to the regulator who has repeatedly confirmed they are 100% content with these SOPs.

NoD