PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - And now another £18 Bn in defence cuts...
Old 31st May 2005, 12:23
tucumseh

Received 175 Likes on 66 Posts
Engineer is right. Nowadays you simply cannot compare like with like when discussing the Defence Budget. The new accounting method used post-RAB prevents it and to simply state there has been an increase is disingenuous.

Over the years I’ve been unfortunate enough to be interviewed by various Treasury and Audit teams. (Having once discovered a company triple-billing, my name featured high on their “speak to him” list. I was young and stupid, so PE gave me a pat on the back and told me not to do it again if I wanted to progress. I didn’t progress). I think myself a fair-minded person, and looking at it from their point of view, I know for a fact they consider such things as:

Manning

The Services grumble they are undermanned. The argument is forever lost when you consider the sheer number of Servicemen at the likes of Abbey Wood, Wyton/Brampton and Andover (DPA/DLO). The Treasury look at the (Treasury determined) grade description of a junior civilian project manager (C2) and think “As a PM he is required to be a wholly competent Requirement Manager and ILS Manager, so why are most RM and ILSM posts manned by more senior Servicemen (and some by even more expensive consultants)?” Similarly, why are there rafts of Sqn Ldr/Wg Cdr/Gp Capts playing at being Supply Managers? It’s a waste of highly trained talent. I don’t know how many people I’ve covered there – perhaps an infantry battalions worth?

Fiscal Efficiency

Similarly, the Treasury only have to get out the numerous Auditors reports, both MoD and independent, and say “This report recommends there are savings to be made which will not affect the Services capability in any way. Test cases have proven hundreds of millions can be saved each year through simply following mandated instructions. Why do you refuse to do it?” It’s like ripping up money, so no wonder the Treasury resist budget increases.

Sorry, I have every sympathy with those at the front line who have to suffer but, given examples like these, the Treasury will always win. I suspect a forum consisting of mainly aircrew and engineers will (perhaps secretly) agree with me. What is needed is someone with the b***s to sack those who knowingly waste the money. Perhaps Dr Reid will pin the DPA and DLO XBs to the wall and kiss them goodnight in good old Glasgow fashion.