PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which GPS should I buy?
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2005, 15:13
TheOddOne

Location: Down at the sharp pointy end, where all the weather is made.
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've just bought the Garmin GPSMAP 96 monochrome version after 23 years of using map, compass & stopwatch. I used it for the first time on Monday for a 3-leg 50nm trip having already done the flight plan on the map and kneeboard. I'm still feeling my way with it. I really don't see me ever being able to just put a route into it, then just follow the GPS, so it will, for me, only ever be a backup and an indication of how close I am to controlled airspace etc. I know of people who seem to just jump in, no map, fire up the GPS and find their way in all weathers, but I can't see myself doing that!

The 96 fits on the yoke on a PA28 nicely and is easily readable in daylight without the backlight on. There seem to be plenty of satellites penetrate to the unit without an external aerial. The bottons are easy to use even with gloves on.

I've tried it in the car, too, and all I can say is that I've been able to calibrate the speedometer more accurately, pretty useless with the basic aviation map for road use.

I'll persevere with it during the summer, but at over £300 for a base model I could have done another 4 hours flying with the money. Maybe one day I'll be thankful that I've made the investment.

I tried reading the handbook but I still don't feel confident that I know how to use it properly. I tried out the 'go to' function a few times as that's probably what I feel I'd get benefit from most in an emergency, but I found I had to search from basics for locations, a bit time-consuming and fiddly if you had a problem. I also found I was 'head-in' for a lot longer than I like, not good when you're traversing between the LHR, LTN & STN zones! I knew where I was, but not what I might have collided with!

I think I'd like to do a few flights as a pax to get to play with it properly in the air to get the hang of it - perhaps it's just my aged brain that's too set in its ways to take to it quickly.

Cheers,

The Odd One