PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rehash - conflicting info re: jet critical engine
Old 29th May 2005, 07:06
ovum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rehash - conflicting info re: jet critical engine

G'day all

Was doing some reading from "Ace the technical pilot interview" on jet critical engines..

One of the questions asks:

"If you had an engine failure between V1 and Vr and you had a maximum crosswind, which engine would be best to lose, i.e. upwind or downwind engine?"

The answer states:

"Upwind engine. This is so because the crosswind would then oppose the yawing moment of the downwind engine"

I found this very hard to believe and thought it might be a typo. However in another question in the same book it asks:

"How does a crosswind affect the critical engine?"

Answer: "..a failed number 1 engine will cause a yaw to the left. A crosswind component from the left will apply a restoring force to the aircraft's fuselage, whereas a crosswind from the right will aggravate the yawing moment further to the left due to the sideways force experienced on the right side of the aircrafts fuselage (which is from right to left)"

I did a search on here and read some past threads where everything seems to match up with my thinking....The book basically suggests that the fuselage has more influence on the yawing moment than the veritcal fin/rudder?...

Pages 60 and 195 for anyone who has it.

Thoughts please? Really want to nut this one out...it seems straight forward.