PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Pacific
Thread: Air Pacific
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2005, 22:00
ys120fz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I spent a year at AirPac and found them to be a not bad bunch of people.
Racial undertones, yes, but not affecting the contractors. Its certainnly there between native Fijians and Indians though.

Maintenance standarsd were good and remain so according to the couple of guys I keep in touch with.

I observed the CRM was good and the management committed to it.
As for suffering abuse as a contract pilot I never saw anything like that and wouldn't have tolerated it anyway.

I hear they'v ebeen through a difficult time with more than a dozen piltos leaving for what they see as a lot mo re money in the middle east, (mostly FOs)so a lot more contractors coming in. They no doubt see that as a threat to their promotion as any group would.

I hear they've pretty well accepted that the 737 will be crewed mostly by contractors for quite qa while though because they just don't have enough guys to put up.

Liek most airlines they hadtheir orgainizational difficulties, but that's a small fault and not unknown in airlines, even much bigger ones.

You don;t go to AP for the money but lifestyle and what aq great lifestyle is was. commuting back home a couple of times a month in J class with a chardy. What a lot of people don't take into account is that money is not everything to everybody.

My memories of Fiji are mostly pleasant. Ed's bar on a Saturday night tripping the light fantastic (dancing for those less eloquent)with a local brown babe, the beach down at Denarau island, sailing, scuba diving, competent FOs, realistic sim sessions, and not too bad flying, some good routes.

I reckon 35north is on the button. AP was aq good place to be.