PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sussex Police Helicopter Bird Strike
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2005, 18:18
SilsoeSid

Purveyor of Egg Liqueur to Lucifer

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
Birdstrike avoidance is NOT a case of luck - I'm surprised a professional pilot made that statement!
Utter Tosh!

Yes we know that rubbish tips, trawlers, nature reserves, coastlines etc aren't the best places to be as far as bird strikes are concerned, but I will still say that there is a vast amout of luck involved.

Either luck or this afternoon I was particularly skillful in avoiding countless swifts and the odd pidgeon and seagull by matters of only inches. How I can fly so accurately I'll never know. Just natural I suppose.....not!!

The reason you can't recall a birdstrike report involving a swift, is perhaps because the bird involved was so small it could not be identified or even found!!

I have a good share of low flying hours myself, however If I was you I, would be careful about starting a p*$$**g match on that one with anyone here!
(Then again with your 219,000 hours I might be on a stickey wicket on that!
I do not doubt the relationship between height/birdstrikes, but by nature of our job, it will happen.

When migrating, birds fly generally at about 5,000 ft, regularly up to 20,000 ft ,the record being reported to be at 29,000 ft (a flock of swans!)

So depending on the time of year all levels are fair game, although the stats do to tend to favour the lower levels for strikes.

Swifts by the way, will go as high as they need to get the insects and if the weather is not suitable in the UK for feeding, they will go to mainland Europe to feed for up to 2 days. They then return to feed the young, who in this time will have been running on fat reserves and would have lost up to 50% of their weight. (Thanks to BBC watch and learn, with signing!)

Concur with the feeling, Glad they are all OK.

SS