PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is contaminated bleed air harmful? YES...
Old 28th May 2005, 13:44
Full Moon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having read this thread and experienced what is being discussed I thought i would put my bit into the discussion for whats its worth for all sides.

I fly the 757 for a UK Charter airline and YES I have often smelt the dirty sock smell as have many of those I fly with, like nearly all the crews I know we accept this as the normal 757 smell. The smell may be a few seconds, sometimes minutes but who knows how long its there for as its clear we become desensitised. I too have often felt tired, slow and had the other symptoms reported to be linked possibly to contaminated air exposure like headaches, nausea, fatigue etc.. I have made mistakes on the plane I have never made in the simulator when I have smelt the contaminated air, so I do believe the symptoms and errors are linked to the smells. I go home washed out and some hours later feel better so hopefully I am only affected short term but who knows!

My doctor does now!

I agree that contaminated air detection systems should be fitted to make the decision making easier for the crews and this will also protect them from employers and the CAA who have different priorities. Commercial over health.

I think this thread shows a clear difference between believers and non believers. I think it a sad reflection on BALPA that their own FSG Chairman Martin Alder should be a clear non believer when many in BALPA obviously do care as they sent me a DVD on the issue last summer which must have cost alot (and money well spent). This no doubts stops the union progressing the issue as it deserves to be progressed with energy and determination.

Rather than argue, take the logical solutions:

> Fit Detectors
> Fit Filters
> Analyse the oil for toxic effects as crews are exposed to confirm the Chronic Neurotoxic effects suspected to be link to inhalation of the oils.

If the passengers get to know the truth, we will all suffer.

I am alert to this issue now but most are ignorant, BALPA must educate the membership as a matter of urgency

Tony