PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tell us something you do from which others might learn - Priceless Tips (Merged)
Old 28th May 2005, 12:49
SASless

Received 523 Likes on 218 Posts
Ballut....

Years ago while doing anti-narcotics operations in Subic Bay, The Philippines....spent a lot of time with our local counterparts. Pre-raid...pre-ops planning/briefing sessions usually involved the consumption of at least a case of San Miquel beer (at my expense). The nature of that kind of work usually meant it was in the evening hours when we were doing this. Down the street, one could hear a street vendor hollering out...."Ballut....Ballut!" as they approach your location.

The locals considered that item to be a delicacy.....and it was to incur great loss of face if you would not eat one or more.

Ballut is a chicken egg containing a fully formed chick complete with a few feathers and a beak....that has congealed into a semi-solid mass after being buried in the ground for an extended period.

After you have eaten your first one....your hearing improves greatly.

The cry of "Ballut" enables you to complete a briefing in record time and get into your US Taxpayer owned car and set land speed records as you depart.

One of these days I will have to tell of my assignment to work undercover posing as a drunken sailor in a massage parlor. But that is another tale.