PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bali Verdict
Thread: Bali Verdict
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2005, 08:09
I Just Want To Fly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
QFCSM
"I restate my point that I will advise others to avoid Indonesia at all costs. If that is unprofessional and you wish to make a complaint - go right ahead. But how that is political is lost on me."

I commend you for your passion and strong beliefs, but this is essentially political. We are talking about the Indonesian judicial system, and our governemts lack of action.

Smile
"Use the strength, wealth etc of our country and give the Indonesian president no other choice but to offer a pardon."

This is exactly the kind of thing that makes matters worse. They are an independant country. We cannot force them to do anything, unless we feel that it violates international law. And then we have to take it up with the UN. Do we really want to become another USA, throwing our weight around whenever we want something to go our way?

I strongly believe that the Oz govt should have done a lot more. But that should have been in the form of consular and legal assistance, perhaps helping to fund a more experienced legal team.