PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sponsorship programmes?
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2005, 00:35
cosworth211

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have my PPL and have just finished uni. I did initially apply to CTC McAlpine Ezy/TC scheme, but didnt continue after reading the costs involved. Basically any sponsership that is available these days is no different from securing your own funds, ie you h ave to pay the money back either way. Im now enrolled on an intergrated program with a massive loan behind me.

Airlines these days need to cut their costs massively. Pilots are not in shortage. What business would offer a sponsership in these conditions?

It seems the only way these days is to either be one of the very select few who make it through the very few sponsership schemes available, join the RAF (which is no less competitive), find a lender to offer you some sort of proff. studies loan or go the modular route and work 3 jobs.

Either way it is very difficult and very stressful, with few guarantees at the other end.

Note this is just my perspective, and on the other side, tomorrow afternoon, I am taking my 3rd AOPA aerobatics lesson, barrel rolls, and the 25-30 hours pw I worked through university to get my PPL now seems worth it. Flying is the best hobby or job in the world, and it seems if you are dedicated enough there are endless rewards.

At 17 IMHO I wouldnt rush into anything. You have enough time to secure a degree, then complete your CPL training, and still be very young for a FO job.

Consider not doing a degree, imagine another downturn in the industry, as a non aviation employer would you employ a qualified commercial pilot, who cant find aviation work, but would **** off at the first sniff of an airline, airtaxi, cargo job etc?

Best of luck either way!