PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gulf Air 151
Thread: Gulf Air 151
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2005, 17:31
scanscanscan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sim guy....The two previous fatal accidents on straight in approaches to landing into rw12 Bahrain at night by Air France DC4's were attributed to the Black Hole effect you mention on the pilots on a long overwater straight in night approach.
As a result of these crashes Gulf Aviation introduced a standing order that its crews would always use an ILS with glideslope indication if within aircraft and weather limits and available, on all future company approaches.
If not within aircraft limits but within weather limits the full overhead instrument procedure was to be flown and not a long night over water final into a black hole effect.
After Gulf Aviation became Gulf Air and expanded and new trainers took over this standing order over time was nolonger enforced as they told me... "It wastes time and it is uneconomic"
I agreed, and ignored them for 23years and luckily nobody complained.
The three qualified national A320 pilots on GF073 were all reported to have been affected by Somatogravic effect on their inner ears by the aircraft acceleration and then all overwhelmed by the various aircraft attitudes,gyrations, and accelerations.
Please correct me if I am wrong but I think the black hole effect is a different animal to Somatogravic effect.
Importantly I do not think Somatogravic effect can be induced in the A320 simulator and trained for but the Black hole effect can.
Sometimes we all have to get on the gauges and scanscanscan to survive.