PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bali Verdict
Thread: Bali Verdict
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2005, 11:05
I Just Want To Fly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe she is innocent, but do I KNOW that for a FACT?
NO! All I can go on is the media.

Everyone is entitled to their oppinion, and to voice their oppinions, after all that is what this message board is for, and that is the way the "free' world should be. What is important is that we do not force your views on others.

I lived in Indonesia for 8 years, so am fully aware of how corrupt, and backward the country is. There is a strong resentment towards Australia and other Western countries for what it believes to be interfereing in their local affairs.

Everything I know about the Corby case is purely what has been portrayed in the Australian Media, which in some cases was extremely emotive, and although it gained the support of the Australian public, I believe it actually did more harm than good. I can assure you the judges saw most of the Australian media broadcasts.

Even if Shapelle is innocent, which I believe she is, we can't boycot Bali. I mean I believe she is innocent, but do I KNOW that for a FACT? NO! All I can go on is the media.

It is not the friendly Balinese people who sell handy crafts and white water rafting tours; the young and underpaid workers who serve delicious satay chicken and nasi goreng for less wages per month than most of us make in a day; the same people whose lives soley depend on the tourist trade, and are still trying to recover from the aftermath of the Bali bombing.......... but rather Supreme Court of the Republic of Indonesia who has tried and convicted her. Bali is unfortunately unlucky enough to be a part that damn country. If they had a choice, they would much prefer to be independant.

I am a travel agent, and I will continue to recommend Bali as a great value for money holiday destination.

Any notion of trying to persuade passengers on flights is extremely unprofessionel, and personally if a customer service manager on a flight tried to impose his/her poltical belief on me I would be outraged, and make a complaint.

I look forward to the replies... but please read my first sentence.