PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2005, 06:27
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some of my favourite sounds...

I like to hear the so-called 'cavalry charge' that announces auto-pilot disconnection/hand-flying. For some of the aviators one might as well have a synthesised voice saying 'We are all going to die!'

Yes, just kidding there... I understand that some post-Viet Nam era helicopters do feature glass cockpits, flight management systems, FADEC and most of the other acronyms so beloved of aviators. But when it comes to drinks in the bar, the rotorheads just cannot cut it, somehow.

The best one so far was, as 'Thought for the day,' was that the movie, 'The Flight of the Phoenix' was worth watching for the sake of observing good CRM! Geez, and I thought it was all about some Brit getting scragged!

Well, tastes differ, so that all I thought was, 'Keep taking the pills.' I never thought of CRM in the context of that movie, the first one of the two, but I do have a bigger wristwatch, so there!

Every so often one of my fixed-wing brothers insists on dragging aviation, sorry, aviating, into some merry discussion about sex or hideous tropical diseases. Perhaps this has caused an association between coupled ILS approaches and yaws to form in my mind.

Having seen which way the wind blows I now creep around the fringes of the helo pilot groups, hoping to pass.

On the other hand, years ago the Pan African Airlines guys used to answer the question of, 'What sort of aircraft does Pan African operate' with the answer, 'Seven 47s.'

Can it be said at the end of the day that we are all just one big, happy band of brothers? Umm, probably not!