PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - are jets more difficult to fly than Tprops
Old 27th May 2005, 04:34
Ignition Override

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
There are certainly wider ranges of weights, airspeeds, climb and descent speeds, fuel burn ( ) etc. But compressed enroute times and high speeds+descent rates ("..another airport with no ATIS on ACARS". ..) can create many rushed scenarios. Flight attendants ringing the chime to request two extra wheelchairs and other distractions also multiply this impression until we do it for years around bad weather while complying with multiple vectors+altitudes, to name just a few things ("did we finish, or even BEGIN, reading the "Decent Checklist"? ..."why is the cabin still at 5,000' msl..?" ).

Years ago, a Captain called me at home while awaiting the date for his simulator type ride, and was curious as to what my Check Airman gave me on my type ride (back then, a long ride, almost four hours ). He was a bit concerned about his partner, a new-hire FO who had flown recips and turboprops for years-but no jet.
His FO was having a very difficult time forcing herself to rotate to a normal takeoff pitch attitude of about 15-18 degrees. I would think that they used some sort of extra takeoff training to help erase her hard-headed fears, convince her that the airplane will fly, and assume that she passed her first Initial Training at the company ok. These fears must originate somewhere in one's background. If one Instructor Pilot has a problem, then another instructor can often have more luck getting through to someone. This company (and I mean everyone involved) does a wonderful job trying to train people.

Last edited by Ignition Override; 31st May 2005 at 03:25.