PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The CTC Wings Scheme thread
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2005, 04:19
FatboyTim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to kinda emulate what trainee99 said, its true there isnt a right or wrong answer criteria for the interview, you would have proven from stages 1 and 2 that you have the maturity, qualifications, level of education and aptitude required to succeed as a Pilot on such a high calibre course.

One thing I would stress is BE YOURSELF. I was constantly asking myself before the interview 'what would they want to hear' which ultimately is the wrong thing to do, if you're not yourself in the interview and get in as a result of pretending to be someone youre not, would that be a good thing in the long run? For me the selection process enabled CTC to gain a clear understanding of who I am and what I can do, but likewise, the thing alot of the applicants forget is that the selection process is a chance for YOU to assess the career of a Pilot and decide whether or not it would live up to your expectations and whether or not you have what it takes. I can only presume that if one didnt have what it took to become a Pilot, would it not be better to find out in the early stages before getting out to NZ and struggling either with the course itself, leadership qualities or social aspects of being on the course?

Try and take something from the selection process yourself, use it as a factor that could either underline your decision to become a Pilot or change your perspective of it.

With that in mind I went into Phase III and basically said 'this is me, this is what I do, this is what I have done, this is what I like doing, this is what I dont like doing, these are my faults and these are my strengths, take it or leave it' (obviously not in an arrogant way though!) I mentioned not going to University, getting into debt on my credit card when I was younger, I mentioned how I felt I could have done better on certain aspects of the previous sections of the selection process and I mentioned a few other aspects of my past and personality I would consider slightly disappointing.

having said that I would also like to say that I did mention lots of my achievements strong points and qualities, I found having a history in the ATC helped as that gave a good basis for discussion concerning my leadership abilities.

I'm not saying go in there and diss yourself or anything, nor am I trying to give some 'secret method' to passing Phase 3, as I said earlier there is no particular rules regarding passing at this stage, it is merely a general picture of the applicant and their suitability.

As I mentioned, I was brutally honest with the interviewers, and in my mind, at certain parts of the interview I was overly honest and wondered if things I had said would have a negative outcome from phase 3, but it became apparent that my honesty was respected and I passed this difficult stage.

None of this stuff I am saying is revealing any secrets or anything guys and girls, it is mentioned at phase 2 that being yourself is in itself a key quality. Be proud of your achievements and quite frankly brag about them, but let the interviewers see the real 'you', that will benefit both CTC and yourself in any decisions made from that point on.

Good luck with applying, hope to see some of you out here soon!

Last edited by FatboyTim; 27th May 2005 at 05:40.