PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is contaminated bleed air harmful? YES...
Old 26th May 2005, 21:21
Dolly with brains!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CAA LACK OF KNOWLEDGE AND LIES

Have you read the CAA Cabin Air Quality Paper of 2004 ? What a lot of bull! They never asked anybody in the T&G for our input!

Section 3.5.1 reads.... The tricresyl phosphates are organophosphates and the ortho isomer is an anticholinesterase which can induce “Organophosphate Induced Delayed Neuropathy” (OPIDN). The meta and para isomers of cresyl phosphate are not as toxic as the ortho isomer and are not reported as inducing OPIDN. The delayed peripheral neuropathy is a progressive condition where the peripheral nerves become unable to transmit impulses. This produces a characteristic set of symptoms which are not consistently present in the symptom profiles reported in the cabin air quality incidents.”

The “symptom profiles” is highly selective and conveniently ignores the numerous symptoms being experienced in crews and passengers and is focusing only on the medical condition known as OPIDN. As crews are hardly examined following fumes events by the CAA it appears that important data is being ignored.

The CAA statement in 3.5.1 only looks at OPIDN and conveniently forgets about Organophosphorus Ester-Induced Chronic Neurotoxicity (OPICN) which comes from repeated low level exposure to organophosphates such as the TCP in the engine oils, as distinct from OPIDN studies which require significantly higher level of exposures to produce that condition. The symptoms being experienced by crews around the world from my research on the web and from chats in the galleys seem very much in line with TCP exposure. A search on Pub Med shows that OPICN is now being linked to engine oil and hydraulic lubricants exposures:

“Furthermore, OPICN induced by low-level inhalation of organophosphates present in jet engine lubricating oils and the hydraulic fluids of aircraft could explain the long-term neurologic deficits consistently reported by crewmembers and passengers, although organophosphate levels may have been too low to produce OPIDN.” - Prof Abou-Donia - Archives of Environmental Health - August 2003 [Vol. 58 (No. 8)]

So perhaps the UK Committee on Toxicity (COT) were on the right path in 1999 when they commisioned research into low level exposure to OPs and Abou-Donia seems to have confirmed this.

Will any industry folk who post their lies on this site please post in their true name / business and under write any future illness to crews from repeated low level exposure to OPs and contaminated air ?

Don't think so as they know their time is running out.

If I get pregnant I know I won't be flying at all whatever more lies the CAA come up with.