PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is contaminated bleed air harmful? YES...
Old 25th May 2005, 23:16
Baby Jane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Must comment on the comments posted by 'POM'.

POM you make 4 industry type comments:

1. Where are the multi million pound settlements against the airlines and manufacturers for causing this?

2. I've been flying 757's for years with no fume events.

3. If there is no proof, as I suspect, this thread is in the right place - the rumours section of a rumours site.

4. Who are AOPIS

COMMENT 1

Many cases are ongoing in court here in OZ but also in the UK and USA, but everyone here in Oz knows that Judy Cullinane got US$2 Million out of court settlement to not put forward the data she had. Also, what about the 50 plus workers compensation claims that have SUCCESFULLY found in the sick crew members favour here ? Most crews know nothing about the health implications and just accept things as a normal working environment but that is changing slowly and passengers, well, they are treated like baggage and told nothing. I was a cabin crew member on the 146 and 320 here in Perth and had hundreds of passengers with paper in front of their noses with fumes over the years and asking for head ache tablets such was the effect of the fumes.

When you have seen colleagues affected for life, then you will take it more seriously.

COMMENT 2

Maybe you haven't and thats great news but do you know what you are looking for? The 757 crews in the USA tell me that when they put the packs on after start they get a whiff on 75% of flights, even though it may be quite low in intensity, but its the low level exposure to these things that is the worry. They also tell me they never write it up as the industry has enough problems so of course their union will not know!! And I know what I am talking about as my brother-in-law is a United 757 pilot and he says they all know!

COMMENT 3

NO proof you say, well you are obviously not a BALPA member as they had a conference in April in London and invited ALL the world experts and concluded:

‘There is a workplace problem resulting in chronic and acute illness amongst flight crew (both pilots and cabin crew)’.

‘Further, we are concerned the passengers may also be suffering from similar symptoms to those exhibited by flight crew’.

‘This, we conclude, is resulting in significant flight safety issues, in addition to unacceptable flight crew personnel health implications’.

COMMENT 4

AOPIS is an Australian non profit group set up some 5 years ago and made up of over 700 affected crew members world wide. I am a member and I believe they have done more for this issue than all other unions put together. They made the DVD which is used by BALPA, the ITF and others in the UK and the RAAF and AFAP etc.. here in Oz along with many other unions. They get my vote.

Bet your brother is that Martin Alder guy!