PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Learning Checklists
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2005, 14:16
6Z3

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
BEagle

I'm on dodgy ground here, but I was trying to pull out of the high speed dive, trimming back as I did, but the trim had failed. With wrist strength insufficient to raise the nose and with Mach No. building (can't recall what it had reached, but it was big), I started to panic. Trying the trim in all directions (stu(pid)prick I know) I found to my further shock that it trimmed forward OK !! which of course compounded my problems. Unlocking thru' the STUPRECCC drill was what I recall was the right actions (of course during my time at Valley being right was not a quality with which I was generally afflicted).

Using both hands to heave the horizontal tailplane angle to within limits for unlocking, I unlocked and completed the drill, recovering to some sort of S&L and returning. That's when my problems began, though I neglected to report a problem to ATC. Without Hyd and with a strong X-wind (obligatory on the main runway by the afternoon - sea breezes?), I kept having to overshoot unable to keep the right wing down (with full left pedal, right knee kept getting in the way). Now 15 mins past my land-on time, the DI in the tower ordered me to land, which is what I did, however with legs frozen in said position. Braking with feet in this configuration (mind and feet still frozen in shock remember) the right toebrake bit much better than the (fully extended) left, and thus the right hand side goosenecks loomed. Finally, close eyes, centralise controls and jam on both feet I came to a halt in the grass. Waiting for the world to descend on me with firetrucks etc, quick as a flash nothing happened. I was below the brow of the hill for both the tower and the Hunter sqn to see me. So, taxied back thru the goose-necks, back to the line, pulled out the mud and turf from the U/C, reported the trim failure, went to the bog and threw up before pulling the plug on my FJ career. What did Stu Price say? "Oh good, the unlock drill is next sortie, we don't need to do that now!"

All happened around 31 years ago, but vivid, very vivid. Gone off thread a bit - sorry.