PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying For Fun - Vintage Visitors wanted
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2005, 08:20
stiknruda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am unable to attend for the first time in 10 years! The wedding of the century is in Barcelona and I'll be there unfortunately.

However, in my opinion the PFA is doing itself a dis-service.

Every year the Rally has lost money and the shortfall has come out of corporate PFA, which is primarily funded by membership and permit renewal charges.

I'd far prefer a far smaller rally that didn't cost so much to administrate, was not so reliant on hired in equipment and was restricted to those that are building, those that have built, those that are interested in knowing more about homebuilding and aircraft that are PFA types, be they plans built, kit built or factory orphans.

Basically a fly in to a large farm strip, if you want to stay bring a tent!

The PFA is the PFA it isn't GA-UK PLC. I have no more interest in seeing rows of flying school Warriors and 152s than most of those flying in have in visiting any of the technical forums or browsing through Ken B's stall of broken secondhand bits looking for a Mk14-6B/s2 widget to fit on their current build project.

I just don't believe that the rebranding will make an event so heavily dependant upon wx to be any more successful. Naturally, as a keen PFA-er, I'd like to be proved wrong - but something nagging inside (the resignation earlier this season of Steve Pettit?) suggests that I won't be!

Oh and every PFA project aircraft should get a medal upon its first appearance at a Rally.

Stik