PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot: FAA or RAF
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2005, 21:30
Hueymeister

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
I can comment from a reasonably balanced viewpoint here....I've flown Operationally with both RN and RAF. I liked the can-do, not hide-bound by rules, get it done within the best traditions of the service attitude that the RN had. The Crabs went to the ends of the earth to write rules for any possiblility, they are very professional, if a little too tightly wound. The RN pushes responsibility right down to the coalface; it empowers its workforce and, in my experience, makes for a better working environment. Flying from a ship has proved to be the most challenging aviation I have ever commited. Life aboard Pusser's Grey doesn't suit everyone; I hated it! You must decide what you want from a career in avaition. All three services offer a great deal. If you want to go into civil aviation (big jets) afterwards then the answer is simple. Read the forums, take 90% with a pinch of salt, but realise that we are ALL professional, but that our end aims are somewhat different which breeds a certain amount of inter-service rivalry. Ciao bella.

HM