PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Changing schools
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2005, 20:51
Crism

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Switching Flight Schools...3rd Time

Well it's my first post and I'm in an ordeal at the moment so here it is:

I'm currently 8 days away from being 16 years old and able to solo. I have the WHITE medical (doctor though I had to be 16 to get the student certificate one) so I have to go change that before anything. But even after that it's worse. At first, I started out flying a 150/152. My instructor wasn't all that great and I wasn't happy with him. He was also in the process of trying to get a job at the airlines. So needless to say, I switched next door. So now I have a cool instructor who I like and I fly a 1997 172R model. HOWEVER, in order to solo this plane, I will need to pay almost $600 in renters insurance just to SOLO. This is because it is too expensive for the flight school to cover insurance on solo students becasue they've bent a bunch of airplanes in the past. This includes running their 150 off the runway somewhere and a gear up landing in their 172RG. Anyways, there's a flight school at an airport that's about the same distance away from me as the one I currently fly out of. At this FBO, I would not need insurance to fly solo with them in their 172S's. Pricewise, I believe my current school has the same price planes as the other place and the price for an instructor is a few dollars cheaper at the other airport.

Here's 3 of what I could possibly do:

1. Stay at my current flight school and pay the $600 for insurance to fly solo for a year with them.

2. Totally switch flight schools and leave my current instructor.

3. Would it be possible to get signed off in the 172S, get signed off by my current instructor to solo who isn't a CFI at the new FBO, then go fly the 172S there. I would come back for lessons with my current instructor and do my solos in the 172S (wondering if they will let me). Also, that FBO knows my CFI because he rents the Twin they have there.

AHHHHH WHAT DO I DO?