PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The real dangers of Black Night VFR.
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2005, 13:00
compressor stall

Received 139 Likes on 63 Posts
Good point Centaurus,

Personally, I think it could happen, but at the higher end of experience you are on instruments after departure, and if you are monitoring the dept, then you won't get the illusion.

Experienced and inexperinced pilots get the leans, but that is because the fluid in the ear moves too slowly (<.05ms2) one direction and sloshes back faster the other. This sensation cannot be overridden by scanning and believing the instruments.

In the acceleration case, the fluid moves back in the semicircular canals exactly the same way as the pitch up sensation. Depending on what you expect to feel you will feel it. Expect to be going faster as the AH is 7deg nose up and past V2 and all ops normal, then your neural pathways will tell you that. Have an open mind about it, don't consult the AH and, who knows...

I had the SGI one night out of a place in western vic on my first night solo flight. Did not know what it was at the time, but all went wierd for a while, felt very confused as to what the a/c was doing. Eventually looked at the AH and it was wings level, nose down a bit and ASI accelerating (as much as a 172 does)... Only years later in ATPL study did I come across the illusion in a textbook and what happened to me made sense.

In recent years, flying turboprops in pitch black moonless nights from reflectorised ALAs in the outback I have never had it. But, I still get the leans occasionally (when handflying in IF. ) That's cos my ears can't override the cause of the leans, but my mind can override the cause of SGI.

CS