PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New CPL - What should I do next?
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2005, 00:43
Freewheel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can only reply to your last question based upon my experience.

Did you training school tell you this? I find a very mixed bag. Of the best pilots I could count on my fingers, 2 are New Zealanders. Neither live in New Zealand. Of the worst pilots I could count on my fingers, there are 5 New Zealanders, none of whom live in New Zealand either. The odds probably get better when I take my shoes & socks off, but it's not a good look. (to be honest, I don't know where they all did their initial training, but training isn't everything)

Before you chime in Steve, I haven't met you, so I can't comment!

I'm getting a big old now to maintain generalisations based upon these individuals, but of all nations I have dealt with, I find that those who take particular pride in their nationality and love to shove it in people's faces are trying to balance some sort of a chip on their shoulder. The bad pilots generally had this chip. The good ones didn't. The exceptions in the bad crowd were just plain d!ckheads, pure and simple.

In short, and it's worked for me, don't get caught up with your national pride, self love or anything else. Attitude is all in aviation, keeping it positive and balanced will help you keep your hand on the big stick and concentrate on the task at hand. Celebrate the differences in your upbringing, celebrate when (if) the all blacks beat the wallabies, but don't go thinking it makes you special to anyone but your mother.

Good luck with it all, and by all means travel all the world. It's a great life for the nomad....