PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Problems of flying in the Middle East. Advice sought
Old 23rd May 2005, 19:26
Lu Zuckerman

Iconoclast

Location: The home of Dudley Dooright-Where the lead dog is the only one that gets a change of scenery.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Been there done that.

To: outhouse

What you say is especially true if you are training locals and have to deal with the religious aspects as their mindset makes it very difficult to instill CRM as a part of the training program. It becomes worse if locals are managing the program. I would strongly suggest that you address your question to those pilots on this forum that worked in the training of Imperial Iranian Army helicopter pilots. They ran into every conceivable problem in the training of the IAA pilots including students going directly to the commanding general to complain about their training pilot with no thought of chain of command. These pilots (IAA) had no concept of safety as they firmly believed if they crashed it was ALLAHS will. On one occasion the IIA training flight performed a flyby for the Shah. For whatever reason one of the AB-206s fell out of formation and crashed. A second AB-206 broke formation and followed the first aircraft down until it crashed and exploded causing the second aircraft to crash. A third AB-206 followed the first two and was similarly effected.

I didn’t train pilots but I was responsible for all of the field maintenance and overhaul and I was faced with similar problems relative to the maintenance performed by IIA mechanics.