PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mechanic (Engineer, Technician) Shortage
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2000, 02:20
redtail

Unhappy

“But look on the bright side, you and I will never be out of work!” Ain’t it beautiful? Pay me now, or pay me later.
I think some of the blame for the problem lies with the unions, who have not leveraged demand for mechanics/engineers/technicians into higher pay for our group. When I started with a major airline, the pay was very good and compensated for the conditions (5 eight hour days on afternoons or nights, working all holidays, having to move across the country for a job/career). Since then the status and pay has slipped. I don’t think I would play the game again if I were to do it all over. What is sad at where I work is that we keep getting people coming in as mechanics who have come from other departments for the pay raise, not because of any mechanical calling. We have also reached the point where the airlines are hiring directly from the schools.

It sounds like in the UK the hours/shifts really stink. I am looking forward to ten hour days with rotating days off, but mainly to save money from commuting and to spend more time away from work. Rotating shifts will kill you, I would rather stay on midnights all of the time than to keep moving around. Currently I am on eight hour shift, six on/two off on a six week rotation (Sun/Mon, Mon/Tues, T/W, W/Th, Th/F/S, F/S/S)