PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA & CAA disagree over B747 continued 3 engine flight
Old 23rd May 2005, 14:32
411A

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
\\\Seems to me the FAA is more or less disagreeing with itself!!\\\

Really don't see how, 6feetunder.
The FAA's position is rather clear...IE: continued flight with an engine shutdown/failed (on 3/4 engine types) is perfectly OK provided that is at least as safe as a diversion, or return.

Now, while it is quite true that I do not operate for a US carrier, I have spent a rather long time with an overseas carrier that operates to 14CFR121 standards...by the book.
In so doing, I have had two inflight shutdowns with three engine types.
One was enroute, about two hours to destination, and the flight was indeed continued to destination.
The other was 10 minutes after takeoff, and altho I had sufficient fuel to destination (in spades, as we were tankering due to cost considerations), a return was carried out, without further discussion. Altho in this case I would have been quite within my authority to continue, it would not make all that much sense...indeed, I would have considered it quite imprudent.

So, there you have it.
Both aviation regulatory authorties concerned here generally agree with regards to flight continuation, however some Commanders (and perhaps differing company policies) offer a clue as to their thinking.
The Commander concerned makes the call, and provided it is within company and regulatory guidelines, should not be called on the carpet to explain himself.

Others however, with a lot of experience under their belt, might respectfully have different views.