PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Steve Hislop killed in helicopter accident: threads merged
Old 23rd May 2005, 10:31
Vfrpilotpb

Senis Semper Fidelis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uwantme,

Thank you, I understand what you are saying, but what percentage of entry into cloud incidents happened before and then after the introduction of this very basic Instrument awarness was introduced,

By the nature of human beings and their natural ability to learn and advance, this sort of "Instrument Awarness" will give that sort of additional confidence to some new pilots, I am not saying its a bad thing, but are the intructors giving enough dire examples to student pilots about the problems they will be in if the inadvertantly enter cloud, lets face it clouds are pretty easy to see, they dont lurk round any corners, so inadvertant entry is a little bit of a strange way to explain the fact that if you are a PPL(H)without any instrument rating you really should be well away from anything that remotely looks like a cloud.

How many new pilots could at a sconds notice tell you where they were, some are hopeless at knowing what is underneath them, I personally will never go near any clouds, I would hate to have to try and execute a 180 to get out, in most of the training helis and small SFH types you would more likly come unstuck just by doing any 180 in cloud!

Peter R-B
Vfr