PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Pacific
Thread: Air Pacific
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2005, 06:19
35North

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear VH-WASA,

If you`re such a great pilot then why arent you working for your national airline like Qantas...I mean why are you contracting? Air Pacific has its`faults but then again which airline doesnt. I mean there are heaps of jobs out there..go fly for Emirates and live in Dubai, go fly for china airlines and live in Taipei, or Oman air and live in Muscat. Go fly for Dragon air or Cathay or singapore.The point is Fiji if no one has told you yet, is a THIRD WORLD country and the fact that they even have a National Airline is a credit to all who believe in the country and Air Pacific. Sure we have our share of `average performing pilots` but then we have some of the best in the world too...In life there is good and bad...the trick is to try and endure the bad when you are knee deep in it and look forward to the good in any form. Expatriates are blocking progression in the Airline, and thats the harsh reality, but a lot of them are great guys and impart a certain level of professionalism and skill to the job where everyone benefits..but they are not to blame for the stagnant progression. Air Pacific is a business and is therefore run as one where cost effective performance is the key to remaining viable in a market that is in such a constant state of flux. The fact that Air Pacific has endured 3 Coups, the Sars outbreak, September 11, cyclones, competition from Virgin, freedom and a whole host of others, including the rising fuel price problems is a reflection on its management and staff..pilots included. Compare them to a number of prominant airlines that have folded over the last couple of years and you will see a major difference that I can sum up in one word...Profitability! AirPacific has remained profitable for a number of years now...so hows that for a S*** airline.

35North